cmake hype?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Feb 3 10:28:33 CET 2006

On Friday 03 February 2006 09:30, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> >I currently don't understand the hype about cmake. What's the real
> >adavantage over scons.

To me the real advantage is modular configuration. The tests can be put into the
CMakeLists.txt files so that they are close to the code that needs the test.
With bksys we're currently putting all the tests into kdelibs/bksys, but how will that
work when we have to use bksys in other modules? Surely the kdelibs tests are not all
interesting to other modules. And having per-module tests is really unflexible anyway,
see confnigure.in.in in the current build system so that when moving an application to
another module, the tests move with the application.

The slowness of the configuration process with cmake is something to look into;
hopefully it can be fixed/improved.

> Personally, I'd much rather we concentrated our efforts on scons/bksys.

Why? I gave up when I couldn't write tests properly, and when kconfig_compiler wouldn't
run out of the builddir (on mac os x) because apparently bksys doesn't have support for
running uninstalled binaries (cmake does).
The fact that any change we make now to bksys is very likely to be thrown away
by ita's "current rewrite of everything" is also not very encouraging.