plugins and kdeinit on Windows ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 3 09:28:07 CET 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>are KDE plugins (kparts, kioslaves,...) and and kdeinit loadable modules
> (klm) handled under windows the same way as under unix ?

You've just invented the term "klm", right? :-)

I don't know how they're handled on Win32, but they have to be DLLs,
because they are loaded at runtime. We currently use libltdl to do our
module-loading stuff, so it handles the loading of DLLs on Windows for
us.

>IOW is kdeinit actually required under windows or should simple
> executables be built instead of klm's ?

I think simple executables are Ok on Win32, given that their executable
format is loaded and dynamically linked much faster than on ELF
platforms.

But I'll let the Win32 developers provide hard data.

>How are the plugins handled ? Are the libtool la files required under
>windows ? (I guess not)

I'm not sure. I know the static libraries we use for building do not carry
dependency information, but I think the DLLs do.

So I think we can get rid of the .la files on Win32 too.

>Does these things work the same way with mingw and msvc ?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.