koffice/karbon

Tim Beaulen tbscope at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 15:11:33 CEST 2006

On 8/4/06, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:43, Tim Beaulen wrote:
> > SVN commit 569387 by beaulen:
> >
> > -fPIC is needed on AMD64 it seems
>
> Well, amd64 detects it, but isn't -fPIC needed always?

I have no idea.
Someone on IRC told me he had problems compiling Karbon on his AMD64
computer.

I looked around on the internet and saw that ia64 computers also had
problems with -fPIC.

(Browsing through the CMake code I saw that -fPIC is only added to the
c-flags and not the cxx-flags.)

Since it looks like this is a problem on 64 bit computers, I added this
temporary hack.

The correct solution is, like BCoppens told me on IRC, to add a check to see
if -fPIC can be used and if it needs to be used.
So compiling a little test program to see if it fails, and if it does, add
-fPIC to the cxx flags.