do we want to keep the out-of-source-only requirement ?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Apr 30 12:48:05 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 22:53, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since there was a short timespan where in-source builds of kdelibs didn't
> work, we required to always build out-of-source.
> With cmake 2.4.0 and above in-source builds will work again.
>
> Do we want to allow them again ?

No (as the thread concluded), but maybe we could provide a way to make the setup easier....

E.g. some script in the toplevel of the modules (autogen.sh?) could say
test -d build || mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. "$*"
but that might not be enough, since "make" and "make install" have to be issued in
the builddir; so maybe that script could also generate a Makefile in the source dir (huh)
to forward those rules or we could have that Makefile in svn (but then people using
another builddir than build/ would get an error)...

This would all be for convenience only, and not mandatory (the current way of doing it
would still work)

srcdir!=builddir is nice, but when compiling some project where you're not a developer,
it's even nicer when it happens automatically.