RFC: modular configuration in kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Apr 29 14:59:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

I went through almost all configure checks in kdelibs/ConfigureChecks.cmake
and annotated where the results are used, please have a look at the file.
There are a lot of checks whose results are only used in one directory: kdesu,
kdecore and kjs mainly.
There are also a lot of checks whose results are used in kdecore and kio.
I put all configure checks whose results seem to be unused at the end of the
ConfigureChecks.cmake.

I'd suggest:

1) to move all checks which are only used in one directory into this
directory, either directly in the CMakeLists.txt there, or into e.g.
kdecore/ConfigureChecks.cmake, or into e.g. ConfigureChecksKDECore.cmake
and have them create separate config headers in their subdirs: e.g.
kdecore/config-kdecore.h (or kdecore/kdecore-config.h)

I did this already for the check for sys/soundcard.h which is only used in
phonon.

2) keep all checks which are used in at least two subdirs in the toplevel
ConfigureChecks.cmake.

3) what about the checks which are used in kdecore and kio ? They could be
moved into the specialized cmake files and so appear twice. The results are
cached by cmake, so they will be executed only once. Or keep them in the
toplevel ConfigureChecks.cmake ?

4) remove the unused configure checks

What do you think ?

Bye