vs ide PATH issue solved (no .bat files needed)

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 17:49:02 CEST 2006

At 09:41 AM 4/25/2006, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>I came up with a solution for the VS IDE PATH problem.
>CMake will look for the environment variable CMAKE_MSVCIDE_RUN_PATH.
>If it is set, then it will add its value to the PATH for each
>custom command in the project.   So, you can use this environment
>variable to put stuff in the PATH for the VS IDE from the
>shell that you run cmake in.  So, for building KDE with vs IDE,
>you will have two choices:
>
>1. change the environment for vs IDE from the IDE menus and
>add the path to perl, and the path to the qt dlls.
>
>2. set CMAKE_MSVCIDE_RUN_PATH=c:\path\to\perl;c:\path\to\qt\bin
>
>Then run cmake.
>
>I have checked this into CVS CMake, and it will be in CMake 2.4.1.
>I have tested, and it seems to work.

One thing we could do with this option is add the following to
the cmakelist file in kde:

# for visual studio IDE set the path correctly for custom commands
if(MSVC_IDE)
  find_program(PERL_PATH perl)
  get_filename_component(PERL_LOCATION "${PERL_PATH}" PATH)
  file(TO_NATIVE_PATH "${PERL_LOCATION}" PERL_PATH_WINDOWS)
  file(TO_NATIVE_PATH "${QT_BINARY_DIR}" QT_BIN_DIR_WINDOWS)
  set(CMAKE_MSVCIDE_RUN_PATH "${PERL_PATH_WINDOWS}\;${QT_BIN_DIR_WINDOWS}"
    CACHE STATIC "MSVC IDE Run path" FORCE)
endif(MSVC_IDE)

It should be safe to put that into the top level cmakelist.txt file
right now, as it will only set a variable that won't be used until
the 2.4.1 comes out.   This should allow IDE builds to be done with
no extra setup.

-Bill