cmake colors

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Apr 19 15:40:51 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 10:56, David Faure wrote:
> I updated cmake from CVS to test the upcoming release; the first difference I saw
> was the colors. Nice feature, but I think the actual colors could be improved:
> light green and yellow are unreadable on a white background.
>
> "Building CXX object" is very-light green; with unsermake it was a darker green, which was
> readable on white background. Looking into the code... hmm, strange; it's the escape code
> for "bold" which makes the green lighter (and not more bold at all). Hmm, that's in konsole;
> in xterm it does both (makes it lighter and more bold). Still not very readable there though.
>
> "Linking" is yellow in both cmake and unsermake, and unreadable in both, but well,
> with unsermake only the word "linking" was in yellow, not the actual target being
> linked, so the target remained readable.

The unsermake implementation didn't only look very nice, but it also
was bettter "usable", because it only highlighted the keywords at the
beginning of the line (the percentage completed, and then "compiling",
"installing", "linking", "creating"...) with the actual job details
still being the default text color. This made it for easy reading.
The complete lines being colorated do look to obtrusive, and make for
harder reading too.

Cheers,
Kurt

unsermake gives me: "xy %"       --> magenta
                    "linking"    --> yellow
                    "compiling"  --> green
                    "creating"   --> blue
                    "installing" --> cyan
(color names according to my eyeballs; I didn't check the actual code)