Cannot compile kdelibs4_snapshot

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Tue Apr 11 18:52:52 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 12:43, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 19:28, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> > I just tried here, and it works, perhaps if you created a clean build
> > tree for CMake it would work for you.  rm -rf Bootstrap.cmk.   Or
> > better yet, use an out of source build for CMake.  To do that you
> > will need a fresh checkout of the source with no build files in it.
>
> Ok, it is compiling now.
>
> <rant>
> I saw several mails recommending a new checkout of cmake or kde. This is
> wrong attitude. Checking out something big a kde takes a lot of time
> and not everybody has unlimited adsl/cable connection. It should be
> made easier to recover a broken source dir. First, the tools should
> avoid to brake it, secondly if they do, recommend the right solution:
> svn-clean or cvs-clean and an update.
> </rant>

I haven't seen many emails to that effect (but I am dead tired whenever I get
home now), but you're exactly right.  With a working source checkout, you
shouldn't ever have to checkout a module again.

If one finds they absolutely must checkout a module, please use one of the
snapshots at http://kdesvn-build.kde.org/other/svn-checkout-tarballs.php

This will avoid extra bandwidth and CPU usage on the KDE servers.  I know it's
mostly 3.5 modules, but kdelibs trunk is there, kdebase trunk should be there
shortly (my computer is crunching it right now and then it needs to upload),
and if you want the kdelibs snapshot, you should be able to svn switch from
kdelibs trunk.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne