KDE/kdelibs

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 8 01:07:03 CEST 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 18:40, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> 1) full end-user GUI apps
> -would be nice if they run from the build tree
> -should be bundles on OS X
>
> 2) command line apps I
> -don't have to run from the build tree
> -no bundles on OS X
> -may do something with a GUI (kwin, kdialog)
Then they are not command line apps. kwin and kdialog are full GUI apps.
All KDE programs have command-line options, that's not the point here.
Commandline means text-based, no gui (and no bundle).
So there is no such category as 2) ;)

> 3) command line apps II
> -have to run from the build tree and are installed
> -usually code generators
>
> 4) command line apps III
> -have to run from the build tree and are not installed
> -usually code generators
Yes.

> 5) unit tests
> -have to run from the build tree
> -can have a GUI
> -no bundles on OS X
(no, should be bundles on OSX as mentionned by Benjamin Reed)

> I'd suggest
> 1) -> default, no keyword
> RPATH to the install dir
>
> 3) handle as 4+5 and relink during installation ?
No, please.

> Wouldn't take a lot of time since this are only very few apps.
It's not the time that is the problem, it's the "sudo make install" -> wrong permissions, problem.

> If we want to use RPATH this is actually the only way to do it. Otherwise it
> would be build with RPATH to the install dir, which wouldn't be "overwritten"
> by a custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Seems fine to me.

> 4+5) RUN_UNINSTALLED
> RPATH to the build dir