KDE/kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Apr 7 21:10:34 CEST 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 21:04, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > Does this mean kdeinit itself has to be a bundle ?
> > Or shouldn't we use kdeinit on OS X ?
>
> For those of us fairly new to KDE development, are there
> any pointers to explain just what kdeinit is and does?
> I have a general idea, but it would be nice to get some
> specifics.

It's a small executable which is started when KDE starts, and which links to a
bunch of the bigger KDE libs (Qt, kdecore, kdeui, kio).
Then you can tell kdeinit to start a kde application by forking, then loading
a shared library which contains a kdeinit_main(), and calls this
kdeinit_main().
This saves startup time since the symbols of the libs have already been
resolved when kdeinit started. AFAIK it also saves some memory.

Bye