KDE/kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Apr 7 18:40:08 CEST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 23:20, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 23:15, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > SVN commit 527103 by neundorf:
> >
> > -use the TOOL keyword for kconfig_compiler, genembed and makekdewidgets
> >
> > ideally the keywords would be:
> > one of RUN_FROM_BUILDTREE, RUN_UNINSTALLED, NOINST, BUILDTOO, TOOL - has
> > to run from the buildtree without being installed
>
> One of the first three sounds clearer than BUILDTOOL or TOOL, indeed. It
> really says what this is all about. If it's about running -only- from the
> build tree (not both buildtree and after install), then NOINST is the most
> clear of all.

We have:

1) full end-user GUI apps
-would be nice if they run from the build tree
-should be bundles on OS X

2) command line apps I
-don't have to run from the build tree
-no bundles on OS X
-may do something with a GUI (kwin, kdialog)

3) command line apps II
-have to run from the build tree and are installed
-usually code generators

4) command line apps III
-have to run from the build tree and are not installed
-usually code generators

5) unit tests
-have to run from the build tree
-can have a GUI
-no bundles on OS X

I'd suggest
1) -> default, no keyword
RPATH to the install dir

2) NOGUI
RPATH to the install dir

3) handle as 4+5 and relink during installation ?
Wouldn't take a lot of time since this are only very few apps.
If we want to use RPATH this is actually the only way to do it. Otherwise it
would be build with RPATH to the install dir, which wouldn't be "overwritten"
by a custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH

4+5) RUN_UNINSTALLED
RPATH to the build dir

Bye