small cmake benchmark

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Thu Apr 6 01:39:29 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 17:59, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I fixed the unsermake errors in kdelibs locally and ran
> unsermake --compile-jobs=500 / make -j500 with cmake (over a big icecream
> cluster). Enjoy.
>
> unsermake:
>
> real    32m55.389s
> user    15m29.590s
> sys     9m20.351s
>

> cmake:
>
> real    7m48.456s
> user    5m31.316s
> sys     3m3.135s

IMHO, that's completely unrealistic, since my unsermake builds with
--compile-jobs=5 on clean kdelibs run in 12 minutes compared to your 32
minutes. There comes a point where the machine simply can't keep up with
feeding the cluster. While these numbers make cmake look good, my cmake
builds with -j5 also run in 12 minutes, so in more realistic conditions,
they're about even.
--
Matt