library dependency implementation

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Oct 25 19:59:42 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 19:17, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> The challenge is
>
> 1. to find a way to specify libraries platform independent  for example
> obj.target='kdecore' and not obj.target='libkdecore' -> not a real problem
>
> 2. to reference libraries platform independent. -> the real challenge
>
> This is the reason, why I introduced the libpaths/libs form without any
> prefix/suffix but there are issues in the implementation I have reported

cmake only uses the "name" part and adds automatically suffix and prefix. So
it knows everytime an executable or library is used, that it has to add them.
This works really well and can probably be also implemented for scons. It has
the side effect that if you have e.g. the executable "kdevelop" and the
library "libkdevelop.so" both will be called simply "kdevelop" on cmake
level.

Bye