Modular configuration

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Oct 17 16:09:03 CEST 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 15:46, Nagy Thomas wrote:
> What about a hashtable in SConstruct, like this:
>
> conftests = {
> "lowlevel" : ["sys.h", "otherheader.h"]
> "libxml" : ["someheader.h"]
> }
>
> env=configure(config, conftests)

This solves the "too much code to write for each test" problem [for header files],
but it doesn't make the thing "modular".

I want the configure checks needed by kdepim/kmail/ to be inside kdepim/kmail/,
so that if kmail moves to another module, they would go with it. And it will
be clear that those checks are for kmail, whereas if they are in the
toplevel SConstruct, all apps will be mixed up there.

Also, headers are only one part of the problem. We must also check
for the presence of C functions (getmntent, mmap, etc.), but the syntax
above only allows for header files.