Patch for dcop & win32

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Oct 17 10:37:27 CEST 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 00:53, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> (example: libkdecorenetwork.a must see MAKE_LIBKDECORE as well).

Well, actually I don't see why we need a libkdecorenetwork.a at all.
Isn't simpler to just skip the convenience lib step and compile the kdecore/network/
files directly into the libkdecore shlib?
The advantage would be that there would be no SConscript under network/,
so we could automate e.g. the compile command in xemacs or your favorite editor
to go up until it finds a SConscript and run 'scons -u' or 'scons -u install' there.

It always confuses people with the current automake build system, when
"make ; make install" seems to create something (a convenience lib)
but doesn't want to install it, so one has to go up and 'make;make install' there too.
(I think everyone who hacked on kio/kio made that mistake at least once...)

Of course for some files in kdebase/kcontrol/kbackground used by both
that module and kdesktop, a convenience lib is needed.
Just not for files in subdirs, IMHO.