Current status of kdebindings

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Sat Mar 30 19:35:51 GMT 2024

On lunedì 25 marzo 2024 04:11:14 CET Mathieu Jobin wrote:
> Reviving this old thread.
>
> Now that Plasma 6 is out. Would there be enough interests to see QtRuby
> being brought back to life for Qt6 ?
>
> I did not get a chance to test the port to Qt5, anybody can comment on how
> well it worked?
>
> If we could make it easier on people to install it and start off. I'm
> willing to put some of my time, if there is a team or interested people to
> work with.
>
> cheers,

Unfortunately, my attempt to document and improve the old bindings was
unsuccessful: I realized that I was able to understand what a single function
did, but I couldn't see how everything fit together. In the end, I gave up. The
bindings themselves worked well enough, at least until I switched to ruby 3.1.
From that version of ruby, they practically stopped working because creating a
second object of any class produced an error complaining about a missing
allocator (or something like that). Just a few days ago, I had to update all
my system and realized that they don't even build correctly with the current
version of Qt5, for reasons I can't understand.

I'd love for QtRuby to be brought back, but I'm not sure whether starting from
the old bindings is the best way to proceed. I was wandering whether using
Swig [1] wouldn't be a better idea. I tried creating wrappers for a few
methods of simple classes like QPoint, QSize and QRect and they were very easy
to do. Things become more difficult for QObject derived classes, as you have to
take care of memory management and so on, not to mention signal-slot
connections, which I didn't try to do.

In case there's a group working on this, I can lend a hand, too.
Unfortunately, until the end of June I won't have much free time, so my help
will be limited. Maybe, it would be a good idea to look for other interested
people on the ruby mailing list.

Stefano

[1] https://www.swig.org/