Current status of kdebindings

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Tue Nov 20 20:01:13 GMT 2018

On lunedì 19 novembre 2018 01:38:25 CET Chris Burel wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> It's been a while since I was really active on perlqt, but with the flurry
> of old bugs getting closed, I've been looking at it again. I haven't seen
> updates to any of the bindings in a long time, so I thought it would be a
> good time to check in with everyone and see what the state of everything
> is.
>
> I've been working on a new version of smokegen that uses llvm to parse the
> headers, and have successfully built the smokeqt libraries against qt5, on
> Linux and MSVC. I'm trying to get it working now with mingw so that I can
> build PerlQt5 for Strawberry Perl. I also expect to get it to work on macos
> soon. Once I get the major platforms working, I'm planning on pushing the
> changes to the kde git repo and merging to master (I have them up on GitHub
> now while I've been developing, so I can do force pushes).
>
> I know a lot of the other bindings depend on smoke, so this should unblock a
> bunch of stuff. But I don't know if any of the other bindings developers
> are still interested in supporting the old code, or updating it to work
> with qt5. On the kde techbase, I see Python, Perl, Ruby, C#, Java, and
> JavaScript listed. I know Python doesn't use smoke, but there still aren't
> (to my knowledge) pykde5 bindings available. All the others use smoke I
> believe. I only know Richard Dale used to support the Ruby bindings, but I
> haven't heard from him in a long while. Who supported the others?
>
> -Chris

While I'm not one of the developers of the KDE bindings, I was an enthusiastic
user of the ruby bindings.

I tried to port the Qt 4 ruby bindings to Qt 5 using your llvm-based smokegen
and it seems that it mostly works (I tried running a couple of programs I
wrote for qtruby4 and I couldn't see anything wrong with them), although there
are many parts which need more testing and polishing.

If there's someone interested in working on the ruby bindings, I'll gladly
share the work I've done.

Stefano