Python bindings using cppyy (was: An update on Python bindings)

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Sun Nov 5 21:30:32 UTC 2017

Philipp,

On 5 November 2017 at 14:48, Philipp A. <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:

> Hi Shaheed, Chris,
>
> Shaheed Haque <srhaque at theiet.org> schrieb am Sa., 4. Nov. 2017 um
> 18:35 Uhr:
>
>> FWIW, I already tried that (types.ModuleType is itself a perfectly
>> subclassable class!) […]
>>
>> Now, none of that may be a limiting factor in the plan you seem to be
>> discussing, but it was part of what made me think "here be dragons"...
>

> For me that sounds like a perfectly acceptable clearly-defined instruction:
>
>    - If you can, don’t use a __init__.py for namespace packages (because
>    it’s simple).
>    - If you need an __init__.py, only use one or use identical ones.
>
> Reasons for needing a __init__.py include the need for toplevel
> constants/classes/functions, or supporting Python 2. The docs also say that
> you can mix __init__.py omission and (identical) __init__.pys.
>
> I created an example here: https://github.com/flying-sheep/namespace-test

As I said, I know how this works, and am using it. As I also said, I'm
happy for others to pursue ECM-based bindings because I don't plan to.

My branch in pykde5.git is now at the point where the packaging now works
with wheels. With any luck, the combination of CMake and pip/setuptools I
have
brewed there will facilitate any ECM-based bindings. Note: the packaging
code depends very much on the evolving PR at
https://bitbucket.org/wlav/cppyy-backend/pull-requests/6/an-interim-experimental-version-of-a.
Neither branch is ready to merge or formally review.

I plan to continue to push forward on the remaining functional TODOs.

Thanks, Shaheed

You can see that by using a __init__.py in exactly one of the merged