Debianisms in KF5 Python bindings

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Sat Mar 25 14:55:05 UTC 2017

Hello,

currently the Python bindings for KF5 are not buildable for anything that's
not Ubuntu / Debian:

- libclang is found using a homegrown method (as opposed to ClangConfig.cmake)
and it only works if it's in the form libclang-$major.$minor.so: anything else
(like in Gentoo, Arch Linux, openSUSE) is not being picked up
- At the same time, clang/clang++ is only found if it's in the form
"$CLANG_PROGRAM-$MAJOR_VERSION.$MINOR_VERSION", but for example in openSUSE we
ship it as "clang++-$major.$minor.$micro"
- It doesn't pick up properly the SIP includes for Python 3 (doesn't in
openSUSE, nor in Gentoo) which live in /usr/include/python3.6m/sip.h

We were not even aware things were not being found unless we inspected the
build logs and tried to replicate things locally. I understand doing cross-
distro work is difficult, but it would be best to at least encourage testing by
distros with a new feature is out, rather than just pushing it in isolation,
or at least ask for testing after being pushed.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B