[Kde-bindings] Progress report on Py*5 binding generation

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun May 1 10:47:37 UTC 2016

Shaheed Haque wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I've still not yet had a chance to catch up with all your good works, but
> I have just pushed what I consider usable %MethodCode injection [1]. This
> includes a naive forward port of the PyKDE4 %MethodCode fragments. The
> documentation is updated too. With luck this should provide a good
> template for other forms of code injection. %TypeCode is the obvious next
> target, and with that in place, I think we'll have all the logic in place
> to support most anything PyKDE4 could do but in a sustainable manner.

Sounds great!

> I'm still in a bit of a crunch time here for the next few weeks, but will
> try to make time to look at your fork and maybe %TypeCode.

Cool. I don't think there's generally urgency - there has not been KF5
bindings for years (and it surprised me to learn that actually). However,
collaborating in one repo and one way forward would be better than two.

> FWIW, the naive forward port of the PyKDE4 fragments is more or less a
> simple import of the original code, and this clearly does not apply in
> many cases. What is there is intended more as a demonstration of the
> techniques of using either fixed strings, or functions to generate the
> custom code needed.

Cool. I saw things related to KConfigSkeleton and KLocalizedString which are
presumably useful to make real bindings. So far, I've just discarded those
in the bindings I've made.

I also filed

 https://phabricator.kde.org/T2389

for tracking by the CI team.