[Kde-bindings] A new attempt on PyKDE5 binding generation

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Thu Mar 31 22:04:07 UTC 2016

Thanks for all the feedback. Here is what I am thinking:

- The basic tooling might as well keep the PyKDE5 name because the
tool is intended to be used KDE-wide. And the repo name for the tool
is pykde5. This should not be a problem because nobody outside dev
should see this tool. (Plus, I have little enough time as it is, and I
have no desire to waste it on admin changes to git).

- In pykde5.git, the /sip folder presently contains the few
twine2-generated and (presumably) hand-tweaked SIP files that pre-date
the current effort. I propose to create /sip/KF5 tree based on using
the tool to generate the KF5 support. The SIP compiled results from
this would presumably be packaged/branded "PyKF5" as suggested.

- Once I cleanly separate out the rules-engine and make the driver
code a bit more generic, each non-KF5 (KDE) project that wants to
build its own bindings could either add itself to /sip/<project> in
pykde5.git, or consider pykde5.git as an input, and roll-its-own SIP
structure in its repo.

Also, by way of an update, I'm making steady progress. From the set of
files that libkf5.*-dev pulls down on Ubuntu wily, I get 1733 sip
files with less than 200 parsing errors to work through.