[Kde-bindings] Adding Python bindings for some frameworks in the next release

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 24 20:11:56 UTC 2016

On dimanche 19 juin 2016 21:29:37 CEST Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add the python bindings previously discussed to the next
> release of KF5.  This means adding the four most recent commits from
>
>  https://github.com/steveire/extra-cmake-modules/commits/python-bindings
>
> to ECM and generating the bindings for KItemModels and KGuiAddons,
> KDbusAddons.
>
> I chose these three because they do not require non-default 'rules' files
> for the bindings. Eg:
>
>  https://github.com/steveire/kitemmodels/commit/98bf569340a5a5049711e087429d
> 080708deb7b8

OK. Just one question: will this fail silently (as it should IMHO) when python
is not available (e.g. on Windows) ?

> This way we can iron out any distribution related problems in the approach,
> then extend the system to further frameworks.

Doing things incrementally is a good idea indeed.

But you should try a "namespaced framework", their header installation is
quite different. There's plenty to choose from, see
`grep -w '^ *PREFIX' **/CMakeLists.txt`  (zsh)
Maybe pick Attica for a simple one (simpler than KIO).

> Unfortunately this can not yet be CI tested:
>
>  https://phabricator.kde.org/T2389
>
> but there are unit tests in the ECM repo for this system.
>
> Any objections?

No objections -- but I'm not very good at reviewing ECM code, or worse, python
:-).

Working on KDE Frameworks 5