[Kde-bindings] python scripting extensions

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 13 08:56:30 UTC 2016

It seems that Krita's users really want Python scripting! Here are the preliminary voting results:

24. Python Scripting Plugin 554
8. SVG Import/Export 505
21. Flipbook/Sketchbook 244
1. Transform from pivot point 225

And then the tail begins...

I'm wondering whether my current approach is still valid, though. I ported Kate's Pate plugin to Krita 2.x two years ago and managed to get a hello world plugin to work. Then other things took my time, and I see the Pate plugin has disappeared from Kate.

I'm hoping for some help with the following questions:

* I'm intending to update Krita's clone of the Pate plugin for PyQt5. Would it be useful to try and abstract that into a library we could share with Kate at one point?

* Where did the FindPyQt5.cmake and FindSIP.cmake files go? I think they used to be in extra-cmake-modules, but I cannot find them anymore.

* For the bindings to Krita itself, I wanted to write a scripting api layer and bind that, instead of binding all of Krita's libraries. Is that an approach someone has tried before? Or am I better off running Shaheed's generator scripts on Krita's dozen or so libraries?

In any case, time to do some exploratory hacking...

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org