[Kde-bindings] Progress report on Py*5 binding generation

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 07:29:44 UTC 2016

Hi Shaheed,

Shaheed Haque wrote:

> I think there are many of these. One example is this one:
>
> sip/KIOCore/KIOCoremod.sip:%Import KIOCore/kio/kiomod.sip
> sip/KIOCore/kio/kiomod.sip:%Import KIOCore/KIOCoremod.sip

Where do those sip files come from and why do they depend on each other?

>> As the file might be generated by cmake, this might work, but it seems
>> easier to pass the include directories on the command line.  The includes
>> will be different on each platform.
>>

> That is correct, but AFAIK, this is just a build time dependency. Once the
> modules are built, nobody will care.

I think that depends on whether bindings are built when building a library
(which I think makes most sense). In that case, we would want to install the
sip files (somewhere in share/ perhaps) and they should not contain
hardcoded paths on the filesystem.

> For me, and for now at least, it is important to be able to run on a large
> body of code without generating anything by hand so generating xxxmod.sip
> files by hand (with or without the %Extract) is not practical.

The files can still be generated, but without the hardcoded includes. What
am I missing?

> so that you can then just say "from PyKF5 import KItemModels". You'll
> notice that in support of this, there is a temporary list of hardcoded
> libraries to link against (a quick hack just to get us going).

I tried this and it didn't work. Can you please try what I am doing as a
sanity check? I have attached it as a patch.

Thanks,

Steve.