[Kde-bindings] Progress report on Py*5 binding generation

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Sat Apr 16 20:28:18 UTC 2016

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 03:45:47 PM Shaheed Haque wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a quick update on the Py*5 bindings generation attempt, and
> specifically on PyKF5. The binding generator with the PyKF5-specific
> rules can now [1] generate a set of SIP files [2] which require just a
> couple of simple hand edits [3] to process KDECoreAddons with no
> syntax errors, but ending in a crash in the SIP 4.16.9 compiler.
>
> Now that might not seem very useful, but in fact, because of the
> fanout involved, a big chunk of KF5 has been syntax checked.
> Obviously, there could be more errors hiding behind the crash, or in
> parts of KF5 not yet covered by the fanout, but this does feel like a
> significant milestone.
>
> The next steps are to pursue the crash, the rest of the fanout, also
> automate the hand edits and...eventually get some bindings to
> compile/load/work.
>
> At any rate, once I get a little further, I plan to propose a merge to
> master (in pykde5.git). As always, help and comments welcome!

Thanks for your continued work on this.  I've noticed that you are using the
Sip4 version supplied with Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty).  Since I thought it might
ease your work and aid your dialogue with Sip4 upstream, I did a backport of
Sip 4.18 (the current release) to Trusty in my PPA [1].  You might be better
off using it for your efforts as there may be problems you are experiencing that
have already been resolved.

Scott K

[1] https://launchpad.net/~kitterman/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

P.S. Dropped kde-core-devel since this is really just about bindings.