[Kde-bindings] Qyoto: Patch - generate argument names from external files

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Tue Apr 10 17:48:06 UTC 2012

On 09/04/12 20:45, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 02:10:58 PM Arno Rehn wrote:
>> But I really would like to keep the Smoke lib as it is, for now.
>> The next time we break BC in SMOKE, we should do it properly and introduce
>> PImpl so we can add functionality as we like.
> I've started looking at Smoke bindings for Qt5 and the obvious place to break
> binary compatibiltiy is when we do those.
>
> I think having argument names in the smoke libs is really useful. Would it be
> possible to add some sort of option to smokegen so that it generates argument
> names?
>
> Having an extra text file seems a bit clunky, and maybe we can get the feature
> debugged with Qt5 bindings and add anything else we think is important for the
> next BIC Smoke release. Then backport it to the Qt4 bindings when it is all
> 100% there and working?
I agree about the argument names in text files being clunky; still I
don't think it's such a good idea to include them in the SMOKE libs
themselves.
Argument names aren't required for running apps; it's really only useful
if you generate bindings and wastes memory in all other cases. Has
anyone done some measurements on how much larger a smoke libs is when we
include argument names?

Maybe we can compress the argument names with bzip2 or lzma and then
include them in the library. Considering that they are plain text, it
should work reasonably well. Decompression will then be done on demand
and shouldn't have an impact on normal apps.