[Kde-bindings] Re: How to use KServices with PyKDE4

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Fri Jan 14 20:11:40 UTC 2011

Hello,

On 01/07/2011 02:26 PM, François K. wrote:
> I'm writing an application with PyQt4/PyKDE4 which I want to be plugin-based.
> Does anyone already dealt with KServices and PyKDE4 ?

The plugin stuff in the KService API is all C++ oriented. and although
it is possible to implement a plugin system in a Python application
which works on a C++ level, it is a huge pain involving defining your
own C++ interface/class for your plugins and doing C++/Python
integration on both sides.

If I were you I would just make my own Python based plugin system.
Dynamic code loading in Python is fairly straight forward and about a
million times easier to debug. The import hooks in Python in the last
few versions also make it easier too.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/