[Kde-bindings] Re: Documenting PyKDE4's bindings generation

Luca Beltrame einar at heavensinferno.net
Tue Apr 26 20:08:14 UTC 2011

In data martedì 26 aprile 2011 21:43:39, Simon Edwards ha scritto:

> Thanks for writing Luca. I agree with the points you've made and welcome
> spreading the PyKDE bindings knowledge around and hopefully getting more

Thanks for answering. I'll try to get my hands dirty on a Techbase page, which
would have more visibility, I'd say.

> I also bump the PyQt and SIP dependencies to match the latest stable
> versions of each. Most distros like to keep thier version of PyQt and

One of the issues I see on the PyQt part at the moment is not on the C++ side
but on the Python side: pykdeuic4 and related tools use (rather undocumented)
parts of PyQt (qtproxies, anyone?) and they tend to break when they change.

>    https://gitorious.org/twine2

Is there any predefined KDE configuration you use? Again, stuff that could be
put in git/svn to make things easier to spot.

> which twine2 can't handle and they have to be fixed by hand. Enums and

Does twine have problems with multiple inheritance? Although I do not speak
C++ at all (well I'm learning but snails have a faster pace ;) I recently
fixed a bug where one of the Phonon classes had the wrong inheritance and this
could not be used in Python.

Now that you've explained all of this, I'd like to push forward my plan for
PyKDE, which mostly touches the Python stuff.
I don't have a lot of time on my hands but what I'd like to do is:

- Clean up examples (remove references to "pykdedocs", convert to new style
signal-slots)
- Move examples to kdeexamples, as they are more suited there
- Write more tutorials: I have a few on my blog currently which handle KIO and
KConfigXT and I hope to do more in the future so that people might work better
with PyKDE4.

If there are suggestions for the non-C++ part, I'm happy to hear them.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter