[Kde-bindings] how to distribute applications using korundum

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Wed Sep 22 09:01:56 UTC 2010

Hello to everyone
I'm finishing the first alpha version of my application using korundum. Now,
the problem I'm facing is the following: how do I distribute it?

My first idea was to create a gem for it. I like this solution because:
a) it's familiar to ruby users (my application is for ruby developers)
b) it automatically installs other gems my application depends on.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, using rubygems has a serious drawback, that
is you can't install .desktop files or icon files in the correct directory
(like /usr/share, for example). I'm trying to find out whether there's some
trick to force rubygems to install files outside the gems directory, but even
if I found out a way, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable to use it.

Another other possibility coming to my mind is to distribute it as a tarball
and use CMake to build and install it. This has drawbacks, too:
a) it's more complicated to use than rubygems (unpack the tarball, create the
build directory, run cmake, run make, run make install, against the semplicity
of `gem install`)
b) it forces the user to manually install dependncies.

A third option could be to distribute the application as a gem, installing the
.desktop file under the gems directory and tell the user to change the KDEDIRS
environment variable to contain the installation directory. I don't like this
too much because it's more work for the user, who should change the
environment variable every time he installs a new version of the application,
as the installation directory used by rubygems contains the version number.

Does anyone has any suggestion or advice on this matter? I've already asked on
the ruby mailing list, but I received no answer so far.

Thanks in advance

Stefano