[Kde-bindings] Re: Transition to Git and reorganization of kdebindings

Petr Vaněk petr at scribus.info
Fri Nov 19 20:42:17 UTC 2010

Dne čtvrtek 18 Listopad 2010 01:53:56 Ian Monroe napsal(a):
> The basic problem is that there is difficulty building kdebindings
> without kdelibs. Or at least, there is a perception of a problem. I
> think anyone subscribed to this list is aware of it, since there have
> been a few threads about it. Also to sync with the Qt & KDE release
> cycle in a less confusing fashion.

Any thoughts about to release smoke (gen, basic header file) and smokeqt out
of KDE? I mean - now it's usualy packaged in kdebindings rpm or deb. It's fine
but it requires to install all dependecies (kdelibs etc.) to use smoke for 3rd
party stuff.

Personally I don't have any problem with it (as a KDE/Qt user) but it's very
hard to use for example non-qt based lib with distro smoke in eg. ubuntu (gtk
based).

My usecase:
We (my company) are starting to use smoke not only for Qt bindings but for
"any" c++ lib we need and sometimes it can be real pain to download part of
KDE stuff to a production server where we need to use for example memcached
smoke bindings...

I hope you will understand ;)

thanks,
petr

P.S.: there are no memcached bindings or whatever, but it's planned...