[Kde-bindings] Re: Add option to build Qt 3 support members into qt smoke libs

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Thu Nov 11 13:25:26 UTC 2010

On Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:13:38 am Chris Burel wrote:
> Hey guys,
> So the whole reason I started writing PerlQt4 is because the company I
> work for was still using PerlQt3.  Now that PerlQt4 is nearing
> completion, we're looking at porting our apps to use it.  The easiest
> way to do this to begin with is to use the Qt 3 support layer.  I've
> added a qt3support smoke module, which contains all the classes
> defined in the Qt 3 support layer (aka, all the "Q3*" classes), but
> that doesn't catch the methods in QtCore or QtGui that are for Qt 3
> compatibility.  To get that to happen, we'd just need to add an
> "add_definitions( QT3_SUPPORT )" to the necessary cmake files for each
> smoke lib, and add some option in cmake for the user to turn it on.
> (or just throw it on the end of qtdefines, which is what I did to
> test).
>
> I know some people dislike the Qt 3 support stuff to begin with, so I
> thought I'd ask before changing anything.
As long as it is optional, and isn't the default that sounds fine to me. I have
no intention of adding any Qt3Support classes to QtRuby or any other bindings
I maintain as I still think they are a bad idea. Maybe for your company's first
stage of conversion it would make sense to use Qt3Support, but in my opinion
it shouldn't be too hard to have a second stage where you do a full port to
Qt4.