[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Wed May 19 22:20:00 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:39:10 pm Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 May 2010 23:16:14 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 19.05.10 22:47:57, Arno Rehn wrote:
> > > SVN commit 1128652 by arnorehn:
> > >
> > > remove kdevplatform. it's broken.
> >
> > Hmm, can this be fixed? I'm guessing someone would need to take care of
> > whatever is being used to generate the bindings?
>
> No, the mistakes are mostly in KDevPlatform's headers.
> See here:
>
> /usr/include/kdevplatform/vcs/interfaces/ibrowsableversioncontrol.h:92:1:
> error: expected unqualified-id before ‘namespace’
> /usr/include/kdevplatform/vcs/interfaces/ibrowsableversioncontrol.h:92:1:
> error: specialization of ‘template<class T> T
> qt_extension(QAbstractExtensionManager*, QObject*)’ in different namespace
> /usr/include/QtDesigner/extension.h:94:74: error:   from definition of
> ‘template<class T> T qt_extension(QAbstractExtensionManager*, QObject*)’
> /usr/include/kdevplatform/vcs/interfaces/ibrowsableversioncontrol.h: In
> function ‘T qt_extension(QAbstractExtensionManager*, QObject*) [with T =
> KDevelop::IBrowsableVersionControl*]’:
> /usr/include/kdevplatform/vcs/interfaces/ibrowsableversioncontrol.h:92:1:
> error: ‘IBrowsableVersionControl_iid’ is not a member of ‘KDevelop’
> /usr/include/kdevplatform/vcs/interfaces/ibrowsableversioncontrol.h:92:1:
> error: ‘IBrowsableVersionControl_iid’ is not a member of ‘KDevelop’
>
> [endless list of follow-up errors]
>
> This is a syntax error (a missing closing brace for 'namespace KDevelop' I
> think), but there's also a huge bunch of methods that are declared in the
> public API but are simply not implemented (or exported).
>
> Take a look at how many methods we have to blacklist to have it compiling:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebindings/smoke/kdevplatform/smokeconfig.
> xml?view=markup&pathrev=1128651
>
> Could be that some or all of these issues are now fixed, but I haven't
> taken a look at current KDevelop trunk yet.
>
> > Its not overly important to have bindings for kdevplatform as we
> > currently don't support loading non-c++ plugins anyway, but we do want
> > to be able to do that at some point in the future. Hence I'm checking
> > what exactly is broken.
>
> Yes, I definitely want C# and Ruby support in KDevelop - so we'll also need
> kdevplatform. But currently I feel it's still a bit unstable (the API, not
> the app itself. I use KDevelop4 regularly :)).
> I think we should rather add it again when we really need it.
Also I would like to remove all smoke based kde bindings that aren't for
kdelibs, from kdebindings like akonadi  and kdevplatform for instance. The
smoke libraries should go in the same kde modules as the libs that they wrap.

For kdevplatform maybe any bindings should go in the kde playground as that is
where the ruby and c# plugins are developed.