[Kde-bindings] Merging qyotoassemblygen

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Sun May 16 21:37:11 UTC 2010

On Sunday 16 May 2010 23:27:27 Richard Dale wrote:
> On Sunday, May 16, 2010 04:34:05 pm Arno Rehn wrote:

> > > Actually the restructuring of QtRuby was based on the work I did on the
> > > JSmoke JavaScript bindings project, and so it might make sense to move
> > > that from gitorious to kdebindings. Moving a project from git to svn
> > > seems a bit backwards though, when the fact kdebindings is still in svn
> > > makes working on it a bit of a pain in the arse.
> >
> > I wouldn't move it to svn. We should rather fix whatever makes developing
> > bindings outside of kdebindings problematic.
>
> It would be much better if the non-kde specific parts of kdebindings were
> on gitorious, such as smokegen. For insttance, the widget testing guys for
> the meego project are very keen to have some ruby bindings for the libdui
> meego touch libs, and they've sent me a patch to make smokegen build with
> qmake and not depend on cmake.
>
> I want to revive the Wt::Ruby project which is sited on github, and
> currently it has a copy of kalyptus for bindings generation. If smokegen
> was git based I wouldn't need to fork it to use with Wt::Ruby.
>
> If the new qyotoassemblygen tool was on gitorious we could do some C#
> bindings for meego touch, we could probably get the mono guys seriously
> excited about that. I feel we are losing out by depending so much on kde
> when a lot of what we do is independent of kde. IMHO being dependent on
> obsolete svn technology that kde currently uses is really starting to hold
> us back. There needs to be some kind of branch naming convention for git
> that we can use to indicate what belongs to a particular kde release.
I already though about hosting smokegen and qyotoassemblygen on gitorious
myself.
Then we should also think about pulling out Qyoto and QtRuby and only leave
the KDE specific bindings in svn. We could align our releases with Qt releases
to fix potential issues with new versions of Qt. And we could then use git, of
course.

qyotoassemblygen wouldn't lose any history either, since I developed it with
git-svn.

arno at arnorehn.de