[Kde-bindings] Working with queued signals/slots in ruby

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Wed May 12 16:48:35 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, April 13, 2010 06:34:09 pm Robert Riemann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to get non-blocking emit calls you have to use  Qt::QueuedConnection.
>
> But the following example shows, that this hasn't an effect when using ruby
> (version doesnt matter).
>
> http://pastie.org/917767
>
>  I 've already talked with Arno who presented the following work around:
> http://pastie.org/917772
>
> Problem: The Thread seems to ignore the sleep 3.
>
> After finding a conclusion we should add a warning to our wiki page:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Ruby
Ruby 1.8 threads are not proper threads and will never work. If we want to
integrate Ruby 1.9 threads then it should be possible, and some patches were
posted on this list a month or two ago. QtRuby badly needs a bit of
restructing, and doing Ruby 1.9 threads properly would be an important part of
that. I started working on a restructure a month or two ago. If I check it
into the kdebindings trunk it won't compile and people will complain. Don't
know what to do about that until we switch to git. I think we should be
posting threading patches on reviewboard so they don't get lost too.