[Kde-bindings] plasma data engines using ruby

Robert Riemann robert.riemann at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 10 00:29:37 UTC 2010

I started to create a stocks data engine for plasma using ruby,
but I run into problems when trying to actually install my script.

I did a look into http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3393 but it seems to be
outdated for me. The Techbase doen't offer a dedicated page on plasma data
engines with ruby, so I did a looked into
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/Python/Writing_DataEngines#Installing_the_DataEngine
.

I managed it to install it somehow:

My structure which gets zipped:
plasma-ruby-engine-stocks
├── CMakeLists.txt
├── metadata.desktop
├── readme.txt
└── stocks_engine.rb (executable)

Installation in ~/.kde4 with:
plasmapkg -t dataengine -i plasma-ruby-engine-stocks.zip

When I now start my engine using
plasmaengineexplorer --engine ruby-stocks

I don't see anything (which might be ok), but I think that plasma didn't start
my script. I dont see any output and no ruby process running.

This is my metadata.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Stocks Data Engine
Comment=Stocks data for Plasmoids

X-KDE-ServiceTypes=Plasma/DataEngine
ServiceTypes=Plasma/DataEngine
Type=Service
Icon=alarmclock
X-KDE-Library=krubypluginfactory
X-KDE-PluginKeyword=plasma-ruby-engine-stocks/stocks_engine.rb
X-Plasma-EngineName=ruby-stocks

X-KDE-PluginInfo-Author=<Your name here>
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Email=<Your email here>
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=ruby-stocks
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=1.0
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Website=http://plasma.kde.org/
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category=Examples
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Depends=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-License=GPL
X-KDE-PluginInfo-EnabledByDefault=true

It would be nice if someone could provide a working dataengine example.
I can offer to create a techwiki page if i get it working.

Best regards,
Robert