[Kde-bindings] Best way to manually connect events in Qyoto?

IBBoard ibboard at ibboard.co.uk
Sat Jan 30 20:37:42 UTC 2010

I'm back with another question - I'm still weighing up whether I'd
rather have GTK#'s non-OO-ness or Qyoto's esoteric "signals".

I know I can now attach delegates to signals using QObject.Connect(),
and I've read the previous discussion about why Qyoto can't have
"normal" C# events (the main point being that signals can be overloaded
with different parameters, but events can't), but I'm not quite sure I
can get used to the SIGNAL("signalName()") method as a good way to do
things. I'm used to TDD and refactoring code, so having a method name in
a string seems like a bad thing anyway. On top of that I don't know what
the signals are for lists, combo boxes, buttons, etc and they're not
available as auto-completes, so I've got to keep going back to the
documentation, reading, copying, remembering the "SIGNAL" wrapper, and
not finding out that I've mistyped something until runtime.

I realise that Qt has its own ways of doing things and that the
signals/slots method is cross-platform and quite flexible, but is there
any easier way to handle this, perhaps in terms of IDE support or some
other method of indicating the signals? The current methods just seems a
bit brittle and difficult for new-comers (what if I'm offline and don't
have access to the documentation, for example?)

Thanks,

IBBoard