[Kde-bindings] get libkonsolepart working within ruby

Robert Riemann robert.riemann at physik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 4 14:25:16 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Richard and me talked yesterday about getting the konsolepart working with ruby.
It doesn't work with the code in trunk for now.

Code example: http://pastie.org/809341

Using the konsolepart in c++ (example from dolphin):
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/apps/dolphin/src/panels/terminal/

In the ruby example you get a konsole widget shown, but it doesnt do
what a konsole should do: providing a shell.

Richard said the konsolepart bases on a really weird header file and
would be need special handling in language bindings.

So the questions is:
- Should we try to ask the konsole KPart people to create a clean
interface that could be easly wrapped?
- Should we just add the part with its interface as it is? and how
could do the job? I've never learnt c++ well enough to know what they
(the kparts people) did there.
- Is there another way to get something like the konsolepart working with ruby?

Any other ideas/proposals?

Best regards,
Robert