[Kde-bindings] Re: custom qt derived c++ class example for qtruby

Alex x37v.alex at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:06:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Arno Rehn <arno at arnorehn.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2010 04:14:49 Vincent Batts wrote:
>> from the kdebindings/ruby/qtruby/examples/ check out
>> ./examples/dialogs/simplewizard/classwizard.rb
>> ./examples/mainwindows/mdi/mainwindow.rb
>> they both use QWidget
>>
>> as for QGraphicsItem, i don't think it is available in qtruby yet.
> Of course it's available. QtRuby supports nearly all Qt classes.
> I think Alex' question was a different one anyway.

Yeah, I have used QGraphicsItem on the ruby side, for prototyping, but
the ruby side isn't fast enough to do what I want to do so I want to
use c++ for this custom item.

>> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Alex <x37v.alex at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does anyone have a simple example project where you wrap a qt derived
>> > class, QWidget or QGraphicsItem, .. and use it on the ruby side with
>> > qtruby?
>> >
>> > I figure there are a few steps, the smoke wrapping, probably some code
>> > or tool to do the ruby wrapping, and compiling... but, it is kind of
>> > unclear to me how people actually do it.
>> >
>> > I have seen a lot of talk of it being possible but I haven't seen any
>> > actual examples which do it, I figure that would be very useful for a
>> > number of other folks as well.
> If you only have one or two classes to expose, the following might be much
> easier:
> http://pcapriotti.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/effective-qt-in-ruby-part-3-2/
>
> But if you instead want to wrap a whole library, the Smoke approach is much
> better. Docs on how to create a Smoke library can be found here:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Smoke

My understanding is that he is creating just one instance of his
object and using it as a single 'effect' processor.  I'm looking to
have an entire class wrapped so i can instantiate it multiple times
and use it in various places in my GUI.

> Looking at existing ones isn't a bad idea either :)

Yeah, thats basically what I'm looking for, a simple example of doing this.

> You still need to create a ruby extension to tell QtRuby to actually load that
> additional Smoke library. That's fairly easy, just look at some of the simple
> extensions in the QtRuby source (Phonon for example). If you have more
> questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

I don't seem to see phonon in the qt ruby source.  I'm using the gem
'qtbindings' but referencing the source qt4-qtruby-2.1.0 to try to
find examples.  I don't even see a download for phonon on the phonon
page..

-Alex