[Kde-bindings] possible conflicts in enums

Petr Vanek petr at scribus.info
Mon Sep 7 09:25:02 UTC 2009

hi all,

we are facing some special problem here. Enums are handled as integers
(numerical values) in our langugae bindings. Fair enough and easy to
operate with it - except it's undeterministic in some cases:

Let's take for example these enums
enum Qt::GlobalColor
enum Qt::PenStyle

and available constructors (Qt):
QPen ( Qt::PenStyle style )
QPen ( const QColor & color )

If I use it in special case (pseudocode)

// "enum", but it's just an alias for 3
foo = Qt::DotLine
// then call
pen = new QPen(foo)

so it's unclear which constructor to call. Just because Qt::DotLine
equals Qt::white in this case.

Question: is there any way how to get a "enum type" from smoke? How to
do it? We can create real enums for our language then.

If there is not such feature - can it be done? I mean: are you
interested in it, or should we maintain it only in our codebase?

all the best,
Petr Vanek