[Kde-bindings] Qt on Rails - Making the creation of simple Qt apps easier with Ruby

Declan McGrath declan at divilment.com
Sun Nov 29 22:53:48 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I'm a Ruby dev interested in qtruby. I'm looking at a way to create a Rails-style generator for building simple qtruby apps. I'm unsure of how transferable the Rails approach would be to building a Qt app but at a minimum I think it would a bit of instant gratification to a Rails dev if they could quickly see a qt version of their app running quickly.

I've started a project to research this at http://github.com/theirishpenguin/qtonrails-examples

If you pull down the code and follow the simple instructions in the README you should be able to see the Qt app running through a Rails backend (a SQLite db is bundled with it so you don't need to worry about generating a db or anything). My Qt skills are not all that, so I would appreciate any feedback on the direction I'm taking. I will be learning how to better to craft Qt apps over the next while but any pointers early on would be great (note the TODO list at the bottom of the README to avoid wasting your time on the few things I already am aware of such as blog post that implements a better approach to using Qt::AbstractTableModel).

Regards,
Declan