[Kde-bindings] building smoke and korundum separately

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Sun Mar 22 10:06:41 UTC 2009

I was trying to build smoke and korundum separately. The reason to do this is
that I wanted to create kdebindings packages for my distribution (gentoo)
which, at the moment, doesn't have any. Since gentoo puts each kde
application/library into an individual package, I wanted to do the same with
kdebindings. So my idea was: a package for smoke, a package for korundum, a
package for qyoto, and so on.

I proceeded the following way:
- built smoke (installed in /usr/kde/svn/libs)
- created another build directory, run cmake from it then run ccmake to only
select qtruby and korundum (disabling smoke)
- run make

As soon as make attempted to link libqtruby.so (or something similar, I don't
remember exactly), I got a smoke-related linking error. So I tried looking in
the makefiles produced by cmake and found out that the smoke libraries weren't
among the ones included in the linking process (I assume because I explicitly
told cmake not to build it). I then started looking through the options listed
by ccmake, including the advanced ones, and found a CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS
and a CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS entries. Setting both of them to -L
/usr/kde/svn/lib (the directory were smoke is installed) I was able to compile
correctly korundum.

What I'd like to know is: is this the correct way to proceed?

Thanks in advance

Stefano