[Kde-bindings] is it possible to use qtruby4 with ruby 1.9?

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Thu Feb 5 09:05:45 UTC 2009

Alle Sunday 01 February 2009, Stefano Crocco ha scritto:

> With the patch, qtruby worked perfectly with ruby 1.9 (while korundum gave
> a compilation error). However it somehow damaged my qturby/korundum
> installation for 1.8, which I thought would have been impossible since
> they'd been installed in different places. I'll try to investigate.
>
> Stefano

I think now I partially understand what's happening. To build the 1.9 version
of qtruby, I also neeeded to rebuild and reinstall smoke. The new smoke
version was installed in /usr/local/lib, while the old one was in
/usr/kde/svn/lib. The 1.9 version of qtruby was installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby19/site_ruby/1.9.1.

It seems that the new version of smoke is loaded even from the 1.8 version of
qtruby, most likely because /usr/local/lib comes before /usr/kde/svn/lib in my
load path. What I can't understand is why the new version of smoke isn't
compatible with the 1.8 qtruby. I thought that smoke itself had nothing to do
with ruby and so it would have been the same for both ruby versions. It seems
clear that it's not so. Has it something to do with lines like

Set runtime path of "/usr/kde/svn/lib/libsmokekde.so.2.0.0" to
"/usr/kde/svn/lib:/usr/lib/qt4:/usr/kde/svn/lib"

which I see during the install phase? If so, what do those lines do?

Thanks

Stefano