[Kde-bindings] new smoke generator

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Sat Aug 29 00:29:47 UTC 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 18:40:20 you wrote:
> Hi Arno!
>
> I'm looking for bindings to our IM app based on Qt4 i want to have python
> or something to have some scripts support too extend functionality by
> community. Now i want to ask You if smoke could be good solution for this
> and what could i reach by this. Or maybe You know batter sollution for me?
>
> You need to know - this is not library but just app
> we use libs as plugins to our program and their are linked with app durring
> compilation of all targets. I prefere to have this scripting like other
> plugins.
Hi,

smoke is only a library that's used by the bindings. It makes C++ classes and
methods dynamically available to apps. The actual language bindings have to be
built on top of it. So if you want to extend your app with plugins written in
such a bindings language, you have to look for QtRuby (Ruby) or Qyoto
(C#/.NET/Mono). There's also cl-qt for Common Lisp. These three are all based
on smoke. There aren't any smoke-based Python bindings yet - but you can
choose between PyQt and PySide for Python-Qt bindings.

As a plugin has to access the app's API, you probably will also have to bind
that. For smoke-based bindings this is fairly simple - you just give
smokegenerator a list of headers and lists of classes and functions and there
you go with your new smoke lib. You then need to write a small extension to
the actual language bindings (i.e. new marshallers, if needed).
PyQt needs sip to generate the bindings, with which I have no experience.
PySide uses a similar tool like smokegenerator, but I haven't tried it out yet
and I don't know how extensible these bindings are.

I'll CC this to the kdebindings list, we can probably help you better there :)

arno at arnorehn.de