[Kde-bindings] smoke usage - how to create new bindings

Petr Vanek petr at scribus.info
Thu Aug 6 10:14:00 UTC 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Arno Rehn<arno at arnorehn.de> wrote:
>> On Monday 03 August 2009 17:33:44 Petr Vanek wrote:
>>> Is there any "minimal" (pseudocode) code to show how Smoke works?
>>> What
>>> to implement to do basic marshalling etc.
>> Hi Petr,
>>
>> take a look at http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/
>> Smoke . There's
>> information about what smoke does and a minimal example in C++. It
>> should give
>> you an idea how to use SMOKE. If it's still not clear, feel free to
>> ask :).
>
> I should note that when I first started working with it, that
> description wasn't as thorough as I would have liked. Luckily Chris
> Burel (of the perlqt4 project) wrote something nice which can be used
> as supplemental information:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/perlqt4/wiki/Smoke_API_documentation
>
> (It's on the perlqt4 wiki but not specific to Perl)

doh, this is *very* important document. Thanks for it.

I'd like to examine one more thing. Let's say I have an (qt) object
created in my lang. I can call its methods etc. as it's described in
Smoke's methodMaps, flags etc.
But how I should handle it "backwards"? E.g. how will be my language
object notified about calls from Qt? How will be my language core
infromed about new objects created by Qt?

I hope I asked in sane way.

Petr