[Kde-bindings] [Reminder] Feature Freeze.

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon May 19 18:34:09 UTC 2008

On Monday 19 May 2008 19:26:41 Simon Edwards wrote:
> Richard Dale wrote:
> > I'm not sure about what constitutes a 'feature' in the kdebindings
> > module. We've recently greatly improved our code generation for the
> > Ruby/C#/PHP bindings ('modular smoke' now completed in the schedule), and
> > would like to use that to generate a lot more bindings for the KDE apis.
> > So we expect to be checking in lots of new bindings before the KDE 4.1
> > release, and I hope this is OK.
>
> Same here. I explained once on core-devel (a long time ago) that binding
> development for a new release doesn't really fire up until the libraries
> are frozen.  I've first got to get the current Python bindings compiling
> again before I can update them with the new APIs in 4.1...
Yes, it's a fun sport playing 'track the plasma header changes' in real time,
but really only until about now, is it possible to assume the headers won't
change much, just when everyone else is freezing.

Another problem - I'm afraid I just put the plasma smoke bindings back, and
we're probably going to add quite a few non-kdelibs bindings soon. So maybe
they should be moved out of kdebindings before the release if there is going
to be a problem with the python printing applet in kdebase. I would rather
get it all working in kdebindings first though.