[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings

Thomas Moenicke tm at php-qt.org
Thu May 15 19:31:29 UTC 2008

On May 10, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Sebastian Sauer wrote:

> Richard Dale wrote:
>>> uh? afaik there are no policies and never where cause it would be
>>> the
>>> dead of any kind of foss-project. guess it's not a matter of
>>> 'allowed'
>>> (as in somebody needs to ok something) but more of 'whats
>>> possible' (as
>>> in how could such a kplugin-based binding be integrated without
>>> the need
>>> to add dirty hacks to plasma itself (what in turn would need such
>>> a 'ok'
>>> :-) ).
>> Well Aaron says that he can't see any point in writing KDE programs
>> in any
>> other language than C++, as the only advantage he can see is that you
>> don't need to compile.
>
> Well, it's his view and we just have another view. I had a similar
> mail-exchange with him a few months back and just came to the
> conclusion that
> we agree to disagree there and did not try to future investigate
> this since
> evangelism makes only fun on success :-)

>> sometimes have to take a ruby app, and code it in C++ instead to see
>> whether some bug in ruby-specific. When I do that it just seems so
>> painful
>> compared with doing it in Ruby.
>
> Guess it depends on the use-case. If it comes to e.g. image-
> processing I would
> always prefer C rather then C++, Python, Ruby, ... while I never
> would use
> C/C++ for e.g. server-side web-stuff (I still wonder ebay doesn't
> agree
> there) or batch-processing/automation-tasks (seems all distributions
> agree
> there).
>
> Same for the desktop. C++ specially combined with Qt is very good
> and powerful
> but still far away from RAD compared to QtRuby/PyQt which are able to
> increase my productivity by at least a factor of 5 if not more.
>
>> I routinely use irb to try little things
>> out when I'm coding something in Ruby - the whole way of going about
>> writing an app 'feels' very different to me.
>
> yes, same here (not irb but the 'feels' different). imho the
> limitations of
> static languages like C++ or Java as well as missing high-level
> functionality
> like e.g. the regexp-power of Perl, array-handling in Python or the
> pure and
> real OO-concept of Ruby are part of the reason not even taken the
> runtime
> manipulation / introspection into account.

It also needs to be mentioned that developers tend to live in their
own universe containing language, tool chain, pecularities, compiler/
interpreter, strengths and weaknesses. If people who worked on
something not GUI related want or have to try GUI development,  they
will look for a toolkit in this universe. They will try to use the
knowledge they already have. Maybe they will get to the conclusion
that its best for enterprise desktop development to learn and use C++
with Qt, which makes more than sense, but Eclipse is maybe a very good
example on how to combine C/C++ and e.g. Java to make development more
efficient. Also, if we want more commitment for KDE, we should, among
other things, try to spread out development to other languages,
especially for easy-to-write on-top-of-the-core stuff, while core
technologies like KDE-core, Plasma or Akonadi should be written in C+
+. I can imagine that one or two developers would write a flashy
desktop widget that gives status information about a server, website
traffic, shows data that come from an Akonadi resource or whatever, if
they had an easy opportunity to do this.