[Kde-bindings] Fwd: Re: Pre-approved Languages

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Fri May 2 09:48:33 UTC 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 17:27:46 Simon Edwards wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 04:53:54PM +0200, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > kdebindings is a module for language bindings, not for applications
> > that happen to use those bindings.
>
> I agree with Jonathan. The whole KDE software stack, kdebindings in my
> opinion fits just above kdelibs and below the applications. It is a kind
> of middleware. kdebindings should only depend on kdelibs and kdepimlibs.
> Extra bindings for things above kdelibs, e.g. workspace and runtime,
> should be done in a separate module such as kdebindings-workspace,
> kdebindings-runtime, kdebindings-edu etc etc.
>
> > kdeutils is a module for applications.  There's no paticular
> > restriction on what it can depend on, except of course circular
> > dependencies.
>
> Right now kdebindings depends on kdelibs and runtime which causes the
> problem for the printer applet which belongs in runtime. Richard's
> plasma work depends on runtime and should be pulled out and put in a new
> module.
OK, really what I'm doing with the Plasma bindings is using it as a test case
for getting the general ruby plugin loader 'krubypluginfactory' working. It
may not end up being used for plasma applets, as Aaron doesn't appear to
think it's a good way to do it. But it will be used to load ruby bindings for
all the other KDE plugin apis.

Next, we are about to incorporate Arno's 'modular smoke' branch into the trunk
which will allow to easily generate plugin apis for a lot of kde apps in
several different libs. After we get that working, maybe we want the base
stuff in kdebindings and module specific stuff in kdebindings-workspace etc
as Jonathan suggests.