[Kde-bindings] Fwd: Re: Pre-approved Languages

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Thu May 1 14:53:54 UTC 2008

eh, forgot to CC Jonathan who may not only those with the answer but can also
provide us his pov as packager/distributor here ;)

Subject: Re: Pre-approved Languages
Date: Thursday 01 May 2008
From: Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org>
To: KDE bindings for other programming languages <kde-bindings at kde.org>

Cyrille Berger wrote:

>> The second suggestion seems sensible to me, with subdirs for each
>> language like kdelibs/bindings/python etc. Having a whole new set of
>> modules in parallel with the existing libs just seems to complicate
>> things. But I don't know enough about this discussion to know what
>> problem we're trying to solve.
> The problem is circular dependencies. A python applet was introduced in
> kdebase, which means kdebase depends on kdebindings while kdebindings
> depends on kdebase. The issue was solved by moving the python applet to
> kdeutils, but the problem might happen again in the future.

why not do it like we did with e.g. the Ruby Plasma backend and move it to
kdebindings itself? The applet depends on python, that's what
kdebindings/python/* is for. The applet depends on PyKDE which is in
kdebindings/python/pykde4...

probably someone could argue that we would end with a kdebdings that depend on
every other module, specially one more wrappers/libs come in, but we could
still try to organize this somehow within kdebindings.

I mean, what happens if someone writes now an applet using QtRuby and moves it
to kdeutils too. Would kdeutils end to depend on ruby, python, C#, java, ...?
imho that's at least something that was solved in kdebindings with the (ruby|
python|csharp|java|...) subdirs. That way an distributor could just package
everything that depends on python and provide one big kde-(ruby| python|
csharp|java|...) tarball and if that's not enough, we could still add a
theird hierachy to group things a bit.