[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings/smoke

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon Jun 2 17:51:08 UTC 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008 18:30:02 Arno Rehn wrote:
> Am Sonntag 01 Juni 2008 17:25:02 schrieb Richard Dale:
> > SVN commit 815366 by rdale:
> >
> > * Add ktexteditor, nepomuk and qtwebkit smoke libs
>
> Why did you split ktexteditor and qtwebkit from the qt/kde smoke libs? They
> aren't anything special, they are fully supported features of these two. I
> agree with the uitools split, but I don't understand this one.
QtWebKit is very large (7Mb), although the smoke lib for it is small, and you
don't need it if you're using KHTML (also split off into its own lib).

KTextEditor wasn't wrapped before as there wasn't enough room in the
monolithic smoke lib, but stripped it is actually pretty small:

ls -lsa libktexteditor.so.4.1.0
184 -rw-r--r-- 1 rdale rdale 181576 2008-06-02 18:43 libktexteditor.so.4.1.0

I just didn't think it was core functionality, but maybe it should go in the
main smoke kde lib. I'm still not sure what the optimum size of smoke lib is,
and whether we will get a slowdown if we have lots of small ones.

I don't think most extensions should include qtruby or korundum, and so you
would need to start you program with two requires, rather than one as we have
the moment eg:

require 'Qt4'
require 'qscintilla'

or

require 'korundum4'
require 'akonadi'

It seems more documentary to me to do that, although it means more typing for
the user. If we had lots of small extensions it could get annoying though.