[Kde-bindings] branches/work/kdebindings-smoke2/csharp

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Thu Feb 7 16:30:17 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag 07 Februar 2008 00:45:29 schrieb Richard Dale:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 13:13:56 Thomas Moenicke wrote:
> > > We could keep the old smoke-lib somewhere, but I'd really appreciate
> > > it if we
> > > could get modular smoke into KDE 4.1 and if possible even Kimono.
> >
> > I would really like to see an Akonadi module for the new smoke by
> > default. It is on the wish list of many people and mentioned by
> > Cornelius Schumacher in the kde-pim 4.1 plans:
> >
> > "The long-term mission of Akonadi is to provide a cross-platform cross-
> > desktop
> > storage service for KDE PIM data. So it's not meant to be limited to
> > KDE.
> > APIs for other environments or other programming languages than C++
> > are very
> > welcome."
> >
> > Any plans yet?
>
> Well I think we should plan on including Plasma and an Akonadi  api with
> the modular Smoke for KDE 4.1 for both Ruby and C# (assuming we can get
> Kimono working).
I'm experimenting a bit around with Kimono, but a bug in gmcs is prohibiting
the compilation of the classes. It always crashes with

$ gmcs -r:qt-dotnet.dll *.cs -warn:0
Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set
to an instance of an object
  at Mono.CSharp.MemberCache.AddInterface (Mono.CSharp.MemberCache baseCache)
[0x00000]
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.DoDefineMembers () [0x00000]
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.DefineMembers () [0x00000]
  at Mono.CSharp.RootContext.PopulateTypes () [0x00000]
  at Mono.CSharp.Driver.MainDriver (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
  at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]

It can be fixed quite easily be fixed in one of the mcs source files, though I
don't think the fix will make it into one of the next Mono releases (at least
Mono 1.9 from svn still has it and on the mono-devel mailinglist I don't get
any real help).

We could maybe change the way the assembly is created by using something like
System.CodeDom, but I'm not sure if this would be ready till the feature
freeze.

arno at arnorehn.de